Out of them, Python is the one most preferred by developers. Python is not a replacement for GIS in web application development, but it is an extension of GIS that helps boost the application’s core functionality. Python is better for web applications, but many developers have this question in mind: is Python good for web GIS or not? Let us discuss a few important pointers that will help you reach a better conclusion about this question.
Important pointers in detail:
- Extensive collection of Python tools for GIS:
Python tools or libraries help you go beyond just visualizing, analyzing, and managing spatial data. The ArcPy library helps in geospatial operations, data conversion, and map production with Esri ArcGIS. Developers can use this library to build an effective GIS web application that can convert unstructured data into structured data that can be viewed and used for important areas of a business. The Bokeh library from Python helps build web- and map-based collectives.
Reading and writing data becomes easy with Python’s library Fiona. A physical library helps developers build high-level programmes for a web application easily as it is a collection of geographical analysis functions. RSGISlib is used for remote sensing and GIS. This library is key for GIS web application development companies as remote sensing is a very key component in retrieving data through satellite images and from other resources.
- Spatial data representation challenge:
- GIS uses Anaconda:
Recently, Anaconda announced its partnership with Esri, which helps establish a standard community for Python across the geospatial community. It is good news for ArcGIS users, as this provides access to a secured package environment. This helps developers resolve the issues of version control and package management. It is tough to maintain in Python, but it is key for web application development. It is compatible with Python 2.7 or Python 3 and above. This creates an environment that makes management easy while deploying GIS web applications.
- Open source extends proprietary GIS:
It made GIS web application development more effective than before. Proprietary GIS software has a few limitations, which are resolved by many open-source tools extending it. The Python package index distributed most of these open-source tools. Developers face issues while working with the ArcGIS REST API for ArcGIS Server (AGS), ArcGIS Online (AGOL), and ArcGIS WebMap JSON during the development phase of a web GIS application. But an open source package called ArcRest made it easy, as it consists of various Python tools that make developers’ work easier and simpler.
Advantages of Python in GIS web application development:
- Developers do need to install additional software while using Python in GIS.
- Python eliminates duplicate behaviour.
- Using GeoDjango with PostGIS helps to use multiple third-party vendor software, which helps in building top-quality web-gis apps. Remember to use this as a backend plugin.
- Python’s community and extensive documentation help developers get help when they face issues using Python libraries or frameworks.
- It saves your company from purchasing an expensive ArcGIS licence used for GIS web application development, as it is free if you use Python.
- Python’s versatile nature allows developers to use any database schema as long as it can handle it effectively.
- The Python event helped developers and other business officials understand the value of Python in the geospatial community and how effective it is for developing web GIS applications.
Future of Python in GIS web application development:
The future looks promising, as the demand for this language will rise and never go down for at least the next five to ten years. Python’s regular release of updates at regular intervals helps them stay competitive as most issues faced by developers are resolved from time to time. Its extensive collection of libraries and frameworks makes web application development easier. But the Python official team has to work on fixing those areas, which are key for web gis application development, continuously.
To sum up, Python enables GIS web applications as it is a great tool for creating workflows. Python’s unique features and tools help developers focus on improving the core functionality of GIS web applications. The best possible answer you can find to the question “Is Python Good for GIS web application development?” is to take multiple pieces of advice and opinions from experts and vastly experienced professionals in this industry. Also, consider multiple use cases before concluding.
BrainFuel is a one-stop solution for GIS web application development. Most businesses utilize the expertise of our experienced developers to use this technology successfully without any issues.