Role of GIS in urban planning
In current times, the world population has reached 8 billion, and it will keep increasing day by day. Moreover, people are migrating from rural areas to urban areas, which makes proper urban planning a challenge. Urban planning is a strategy built on focusing the development and design of land on environmental conditions, climate, etc. for the regulation and management of cities, towns, etc. But it is very important to have proper urban planning, which can be possible with the help of technology. The challenge is to choose the right technology that helps with effective urban planning and solves major issues for a longer period of time.
For which accurate data is required. Then came GIS technology to the rescue, as GIS is about analyzing, gathering, and visualising data, which helps urban planners make correct decisions on how to plan a city or town based on the data they acquire with GIS technology. Many planners, informers, and other officials come from non-technical backgrounds, but they do the smart thing by approaching top GIS application development companies, whose experienced engineers help them whenever required.
Reasons why GIS is important for urban planning:
- GIS technology helps planners understand the city’s or town’s needs better as they process the geospatial data through satellite images, aerial imaging, and remote sensing tools, which gives the planners a proper view of the city or town and tells them what areas they need to focus on or not.
- Construction of new houses is challenging for urban planners if they don’t know how much land it occupies with the existing infrastructure and whether it can meet regular demands or not. But GIS technology made it easy by allowing various queries and analytics on GIS data to make it easy to estimate the land coverage. But to run queries for analytics on data using GIS technology requires expertise and vast hands-on experience, which is possible by partnering with GIS application development consultancy agencies.
- GIS software can show the current environmental condition in a particular area through data visualizations. This helps urban planners compare the expected and anticipated results, which helps them plan effectively.
- Urban planner team members can use GIS desktop or application and web mapping software to have a clear picture of a city or town-wide statistical analysis, which helps in better planning for future population and growth.
- Even small structures like schools, hospitals, etc. should be properly planned in a particular area, for which studying smaller structure areas is also crucial. To make it easy for planners, GIS technology along with remote sensing can be used for a feasibility study of that area.
Advantages of GIS in urban planning:
- GIS software is affordable, which makes urban planning easy as it helps with accurate data analysis.
- Cloud GIS makes planning easier as it can store, manage, and access data from anywhere in the world. By this, urban planners can take the right advice from expert professionals whenever required, instantly.
- During planning, there will be a transfer of data using documents, pen drives, hard disks, etc., which is time-consuming but made easier by cloud GIS and desktop GIS, which make sharing data easy with proper communication.
- Planners can come up with the best possible strategies for a city or town with the help of data and resources provided by GIS technology.
- Urban planners can conduct measurements of connectivity with GIS mapping functions like spatial analysis, buffering, etc.
- Urban planners can find ways to protect the environment from any impact created while planning a town or city with the help of GIS technology.
- Urban planners can select the right land for urban planning by using GIS tools like map overlays.
- A project can be improved anytime based on the feedback received using GIS tools and technology.
Role of GIS application development companies:
GIS application development companies play a crucial role in urban planning as their expertise is needed to develop applications that can make urban planners’ work easier and solve a few major issues like data acquisition. In the digital era, mobile applications are in huge demand as we heavily rely on smartphones. Mobile GIS applications in urban planning will be a huge plus. A few practical applications of GIS are resource inventory, creating land-use maps and plans, analyzing socioeconomic and environmental data, etc. Applications built using these core features can help a lot. To monitor cloud GIS, most urban planners require professional help and training from experts in this industry, which is available from reputed and top GIS application agencies or consultancies.
In short, GIS plays a very significant role in urban planning as its unique features and tools help urban planners make smart decisions for the development of the towns or cities we live in. GIS is vital for urban planning even more in the coming years as there will be more challenges and problems like making adjustments in areas when population changes, etc. Urban planners need to learn more about GIS tools and technology. They can learn very easily either by taking training sessions from top GIS application development agencies, forums, etc., or from various online platforms at affordable prices. GIS is an important tool that adds more value when it comes to effective urban planning.
Brain Fuel is a one-stop solution for GIS application development. Our professional services help companies to implement GIS technology, tools and features that help them expand their business and earn more revenue.